Thursday, December 13, 2012

Week One: Prescription Acne Creams

DAY 1:


My Skin Type
- fairly normal, sensitive
- dry patches during winter
- acne is scattered
- acne includes cystic, milia, whiteheads, blackheads

What the Dermatologist Prescribed Me
They originally prescribed me a form of Retin-A called Ziana, and another ointment called Acanya. The prescription ended up being about $900 for the two, because my insurance does not provide coverage for them. If this happens to you, call the dermatologist and they will prescribe something more affordable.







Tretinoin Cream, 0.025%: I was told to apply this every night about 20-30 minutes after washing my face. 
       
Side Effects
          - condition may worsen for the first 2-3 weeks
          - redness
          - peeling
          - stinging
          - feeling of warmth
       
 Cost: $5


Benzoyl Peroxide, 5%: Apply after washing my face in the morning. The dermatologist suggested I put my clothes on before this, because this product does bleach fabric!

Side Effects
- Several weeks may pass before improvement
- dryness
- feeing of warmth
- irritation
- itching
- peeling
- redness
- stinging

Cost: $5


Clindamycin Phosphate Lotion, 1%: Shake well and apply to clean,dry face every morning. I will be mixing this with the Benzoyl Peroxide.
Side Effects
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement
- dry skin
Cost: $10
       

        The dermatologist also recommended a more mild facial cleanser rather than Salicylic Acid, because my skin is sensitive. She recommended I try CeraVe. You can purchase CeraVe at Walgreens, Target, CVS, Wal-Mart, and other stores like those.


 Both of these products were $13.49 at Walgreens and the dermatologist gave me a $2 off coupon!

I will continue to blog about my journey with these products, I'm hoping I can finally solve my acne problems. If you have acne, I suggest going to the dermatologist, and see what they recommend. If you have any questions or suggestions, please e-mail me at beautydelish@gmail.com or message me on my YouTube channel!

Thank you for reading!


 

1 comment:

  1. Did it ever get better?
    You look quite small, maybe 4 10

    ReplyDelete